Rolling Stone has released an expanded list of the 250 Greatest Guitarists of All Time, covering a wide range of musical genres and spanning across many generations. The list, a follow-up to their 2011 version that showcased 100 guitarists, emphasizes the diversity and evolution of the guitar’s impact on music. It includes both iconic legends like Jimmy Page and newer entrants, with an emphasis on originality and game-changing contributions over technical proficiency.
- Rolling Stone’s new list expands upon their 2011 compilation of the 100 Greatest Guitarists, now featuring 250 artists.
- The list celebrates the guitar’s versatility in music, spanning genres like rock, jazz, blues, punk, and many more.
- It includes iconic figures like Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, and Prince, as well as lesser-known but influential artists.
- Many guitarists on the list are recognized as part of duos, emphasizing collaboration in guitar mastery.
- The selection criteria favored originality, emotional resonance, and significant contributions to music over mere technical skill.