Ukrainian special operations teams, consisting of former soldiers with specialist skills, are engaged in covert operations against Russian occupation, focusing on tactics designed to collapse Russian morale. The teams operate under various Ukrainian intelligence organizations, with units such as Brabus’s group conducting clandestine operations on and beyond the front lines, specifically targeting Russian officers.
- The special operations teams, known as reconnaissance units, use guerrilla warfare tactics against Russian forces, operating from forested areas across regions such as Kyiv, Chernihiv, and Sumy. Their bold, fast-moving actions have helped halt the Russian invasion in some areas.
- Brabus and his group, composed of ex-Ukrainian forces officers, have shared accounts of operations such as a mission in Bakhmut where they exploited a changeover in Russian units to target and eliminate incoming Russian paratroopers.
- Alongside traditional warfare, these units engage in strategic actions aimed at undermining Russian morale. Their tasks often involve assassinating Russian officers to disrupt command structures.
- The Ukrainian units use a variety of tools, such as modified Soviet-era heavy machine guns fitted with silencers, for their operations. Their attacks often rely on signals intelligence for targeting.
- Chaos among Russian forces has been observed, with instances of infighting among Russian units noted. The Ukrainian special ops teams aim to further sow discord and create anarchy within enemy ranks.