Maj Gen Ivan Popov, a top Russian general, has been dismissed following his public critique of Russia’s strategy in Ukraine, specifically criticizing the high causality rate, insufficient artillery, and poor military intelligence. Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, warns that the US and its NATO allies’ deployment of F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine will be perceived as a ‘nuclear’ threat. Meanwhile, Ukraine continues to suffer deadly drone attacks, as Russian forces targeted Kyiv with a barrage of self-exploding Iranian-made Shahed drones.
- Maj Gen Ivan Popov was dismissed after criticizing the state of the Russian army in Ukraine, expressing concern about the high casualty rate and poor military intelligence.
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warns that the delivery of F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine will be seen as a nuclear threat by Russia, with potentially catastrophic consequences for direct armed confrontation.
- Kyiv experiences continual drone attacks from Russian forces, with the latest round causing significant civilian casualties and damage to the city’s infrastructure.
- The UK’s Defense Secretary Ben Wallace stated that the UK is not an “Amazon delivery service” for arms to Ukraine, suggesting that Ukraine needs to focus on persuading other countries for sustainable weapon aid.
- UN Human Rights Chief Volker Turk urged Russia to obey humanitarian law following evidence of abuses against Ukrainian civilians, including torture and arbitrary detention of over 900 civilians.