Lt.-Col. “B,” commander of the Shaldag elite special forces unit, shares his firsthand account of the confrontation with Hamas when they invaded the Gaza Strip periphery communities. Despite facing significant challenges, including immediate casualties and fierce house-to-house combat, B’s forces eventually regained control, emphasizing their dedication to saving civilians over their personal safety.
- Lt.-Col. “B” was alerted to Hamas’s invasion of the Gaza Strip periphery communities on a Shabbat morning and immediately mobilized his troops, stating, “War has started.”
- The Shaldag special forces faced intense combat with Hamas terrorists upon their arrival, suffering immediate casualties but managing to kill 20 terrorists after five hours of fighting.
- B’s forces faced another major confrontation at the IDF’s divisional headquarters, which was under Hamas control. They eventually neutralized the main terrorist group and secured the base by 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- By early Sunday, reinforcements, including Shaldag reservists and other military units, bolstered their numbers. The unit suffered losses with five of B’s forces killed and 15 wounded, including his deputy.
- Lt.-Col. “B” emphasized the dedication of the soldiers, noting their commitment to saving civilians and highlighted instances where off-duty soldiers and commanders plunged directly into the battle.