Hamas orchestrated a major assault on Israel, deploying around 1,000 fighters and organizing them into specialized units, as per a source close to the group. This attack is described as the most severe in recent decades. They have been training in Gaza since the last conflict in 2021, even building mock Israeli settlements for practice. Hamas launched thousands of rockets during the onset of this operation, aiming to shock and disorient while their fighters infiltrated Israel’s borders.
- Hamas trained their fighters in Gaza since the 2021 conflict, often in plain view, even constructing mock Israeli settlements for tactical drills.
- At the start of their operation, Hamas claimed to have fired 3,000 rockets, while Israel confirmed 2,500 rockets, meant to cause shock and provide a cover for ground operations.
- An airborne unit utilized hang gliders and motorized paragliders to fly over borders and secure areas for the primary assault.
- An elite commando ground unit, comprising 400 fighters, used explosives to break the fortified Gaza fence, entering Israeli territory using various vehicles and executing attacks.
- Hamas deployed drones for border surveillance, identifying them as Zouari, and also had an intelligence unit monitoring the movements and positions of Israeli soldiers.