For the second time in under a year, the Kerch Strait Bridge, connecting Russia and the Crimean Peninsula, has suffered explosive damage. While not as severe as the previous attack, this incident still disrupted traffic and resulted in some fatalities, with initial reports attributing the blasts to two maritime drones.
- The Kerch Strait Bridge is a strategic point for Russia, playing a significant role in the supply of goods to Crimea and as a symbolic link between Russia and the annexed region.
- The top Russian official in Crimea, Sergei Aksyonov, reported an emergency on the bridge, with later clarification revealing damage caused by two separate maritime drone explosions.
- Despite Russian accusations that Ukraine was responsible, Ukrainian officials refrained from outright admission, adhering to a policy of ambiguity regarding strikes on Russian-held territory.
- This attack follows a trend of Ukrainian strategy focusing on Russian logistics nodes, using missiles supplied by the US and other allies.
- The damaged bridge not only hinders Russian supply efforts to their forces but also invites the potential for retaliatory actions similar to Russia’s previous months-long aerial campaign against Ukraine’s energy infrastructure.