USSOCOM has awarded Geissele Automatics a contract valued at $29 million for the production of the Mid Range Gas Gun – Sniper (MRGG-S), chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor but with a user-swappable barrel to 7.62mm. The gun will be utilized as a sniper support weapon and designated marksman rifle, aiming to enhance lethality and performance in ranges from 50-1,500 meters. Geissele Automatics, located in North Wales, Pennsylvania, is tasked with the complete sustainment of the weapon system throughout its life cycle.
- Contract Details: Geissele Automatics received an indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract with a maximum ceiling of $29,263,029 to develop and sustain the MRGG-S sniper rifle for a decade.
- Rifle Capabilities: The MRGG-S, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, is designed to improve intermediate range sniper rifle performance, especially when suppressed, in ranges of 50-1,500 meters. Users can also swap the barrel to 7.62mm based on requirements.
- Funding and Obligation: The initial fiscal 2023 procurement funds allocated for the contract amount to $4,240,133.
- Commercial Variant: The commercial version of the rifle boasts a 20-inch cold hammer forged, chrome-lined barrel, interchangeable between 6.5 Creedmoor and 7.62×51 mm NATO. Its features are detailed on the Geissele website.
- Assaulter Version: There’s an ongoing program to introduce an Assaulter variant of the MRGG-S, which will have a shorter barrel, different stock, and a full-auto firing capability.