On September 18, 2023, Ukrainian forces regained control of the strategically important eastern village of Klishchiivka from Russian occupation. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy commended the country’s armed forces for this accomplishment. Additionally, there were reports of drone activity and missile launches from both sides. Diplomatic engagements involving China, Russia, and Ukraine also took place, addressing various facets of the ongoing conflict.
- Ukrainian military forces reclaimed the village of Klishchiivka from Russian occupation, marking a significant strategic victory.
- The United States-based Institute for the Study of War (ISW) reported Ukrainian tactical breaches along the southern front line and noted continued fighting near the Kupyansk-Svatove-Kreminna line.
- Russia’s defense ministry claimed to have downed six Ukrainian drones over Crimea, while Moscow’s mayor reported two drones were shot down near the city, affecting flight schedules.
- Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal highlighted the large minefield in Ukraine post-Russian invasion, spanning 250,000 sq km, after a farm worker’s death from a mine explosion.
- Diplomatically, the White House National Security Adviser met with China’s top diplomat, and Russia and Ukraine are set to meet at the International Court of Justice regarding Moscow’s rationale for the invasion.