A 60-year-old Russian T-62MV Obr. 2022 tank was destroyed by Ukrainian drones near Krynky while apparently attempting an attack on the Ukrainian Marines’ bridgehead on the Dnipro River. This incident highlights the use of older Russian tanks in the conflict and the effective control of Ukrainian forces in local air space.
- The Russian T-62MV Obr. 2022 tank, a modernized version of a 1960s design, was deployed in an attempted counterattack against Ukrainian positions near Krynky.
- Russian forces have been using older tanks like the T-62, T-55, and T-54, often in indirect fire roles similar to howitzers, rather than for direct assaults.
- The tank, being within close range of Ukrainian positions, was likely engaged in a direct attack when it was destroyed by Ukrainian drones.
- The destruction of the tank underscores Ukraine’s effective use of drones for surveillance, strikes, and resupply, particularly in suppressing and countering Russian air defenses.
- This event reflects the broader dynamic of the conflict, where Ukrainian forces have managed to maintain local air superiority despite Russian regional air superiority.