A tank duel.
A Ukrainian T-64BV knocked down the occupiers’ T-72B3 at close range.
🎥 128th Mountain Assault Brigade pic.twitter.com/9TPB098aAZ
— Defense of Ukraine (@DefenceU) September 20, 2023
Newly released aerial footage from Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense shows a rare close-range tank duel between a Ukrainian T-64BV and a Russian T-72B3. The Ukrainian tank successfully destroyed the Russian tank with two explosions. The tanks were only separated by a trench and a line of trees, underscoring the high-intensity and proximity of the battle.
- Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense posted the footage on X, a social media platform formerly known as Twitter, offering a clear view of the rarity of a tank-on-tank encounter.
- The video was captured by Ukraine’s 128th Mountain Assault Brigade and reveals how dangerously close the two tanks were to each other, with only a trench and a line of trees separating them.
- The Ukrainian T-64BV fired at the Russian T-72B3, landing two explosions on the Russian tank before driving away.
- According to RBC-Ukraine, the tank battle occurred in the Zaporizhzhia region.
- A 2023 special report from the Royal United Services for Defence and Security Studies notes that tank-on-tank engagements have become relatively rare, usually occurring within 1,000 meters when they do happen.