The U.S. has conducted airstrikes in eastern Syria targeting Iranian-backed groups, in response to over 50 rocket and drone attacks against U.S. bases in Iraq and Syria by these groups. The airstrikes, likely causing casualties, targeted a training facility and a safe house used by the groups. These actions follow increased regional tensions due to recent attacks in Israel and Gaza.
- Targets of the Airstrikes: The U.S. airstrikes hit a training facility and a safe house in eastern Syria used by Iranian-backed militias and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps.
- Casualties and Damage: While there are likely casualties among the Iranian Revolutionary Guard-related personnel, the Pentagon has not confirmed any deaths.
- Reason for U.S. Strikes: The airstrikes were in retaliation for attacks by militant groups against U.S. bases in Iraq and Syria, which have injured approximately 56 U.S. personnel.
- Regional Tensions: The militant groups intensified attacks following a series of violent incidents in Gaza and Israel, including a hospital blast in Gaza and subsequent military responses by Israel.
- U.S. Defense Statement: Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin stated that the U.S. will defend itself, its personnel, and its interests, emphasizing the importance of the safety of U.S. personnel.