“Take the Bridge” is an unsanctioned, underground running race series founded by Darcy Budworth that challenges traditional race norms. Instead of fixed courses, participants are given checkpoints to reach, allowing them to determine their own routes between them. The races, which often spontaneously disrupt traffic and occur worldwide in cities like New York, London, and Toronto, have a renegade and communal spirit. While the series started as a grassroots effort, it has evolved to gain corporate sponsorships while still maintaining its unique character.
- “Take the Bridge” is an unconventional, unsanctioned race series that allows runners to choose their route based on given checkpoints, fostering a more fun and communal spirit.
- The race series, which was launched by Darcy Budworth in 2015, was inspired by a New York City bike messenger race and has since gained popularity in major cities worldwide.
- Despite the spontaneous and disruptive nature of the races, they’ve managed to attract elite athletes and gain corporate sponsorships from big brands like Salomon, Nike, Altra, and Lululemon.
- The races are often held at night, involve on-the-spot decision-making for participants, and offer a raw, punk rock feel that stands in contrast to traditional running events.
- In 2022, Budworth introduced a trail-focused spinoff called “Take the Ridge” that brings the unique format to off-road settings.