Food trends are heavily influenced by a combination of public demand, insights from market research, and innovative development from food laboratories. Nielsen IQ’s Sherry Frey highlights a growing consumer preference for health-conscious and planet-friendly foods. Food development lab Mattson, on the other hand, focuses on creating new products that align with these trends, like protein-infused coffee and keto empanadas.
- Health and Planet-Conscious Trends: Consumers are increasingly aware of the impact of their food choices on their health and the environment, leading to a rise in demand for products like mushroom-based foods and sea vegetables.
- Insights and Analysis: Sherry Frey from Nielsen IQ analyzes public food purchases to identify these trends, such as the popularity of mushrooms in various food products.
- Development by Mattson: Food development lab Mattson creates new recipes for companies looking to enter new market spaces, like developing keto-friendly or culturally diverse foods based on Gen Z preferences.
- The Future of Food: Innovations in food technology are also contributing to trends, such as the development of animal-free proteins like eggs produced from yeast, offering sustainable alternatives to traditional animal products.
- Advertising and Social Media Influence: The success of new food products is heavily reliant on advertising, with a shift towards generating online buzz through social media, as explained by Andrew Swinand of the Leo Burnett ad agency.