The economic collapse in Cuba is pushing many inhabitants to flee the country. Those who remain, like Marcos Perez and his family, are resorting to desperate measures such as black-market trade to meet their basic needs and are also contemplating departure.
- A significant number of people in Cuba, including most of Marcos Perez’s friends, have left the country due to its economic collapse.
- The remaining inhabitants, like Perez, are considering fleeing the country to escape the harsh economic conditions.
- Perez’s father has resorted to selling goods on the black market to feed and clothe his family, indicating the dire economic state.
- Acquiring basic amenities, such as a fridge, is considered a luxury in Cuba due to the current economic situation.
- The people still in Cuba are either those lacking ambition to leave or those who have children, according to Perez.