MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, which houses the US Central Command (CENTCOM) and US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), has ordered an evacuation in anticipation of the major hurricane, Tropical storm Idalia. The storm is forecasted to bring life-threatening conditions to Florida’s gulf coast.
- Tropical storm Idalia is tracking towards Tampa and is anticipated to become a major hurricane with dangerous winds and life-threatening storm surge.
- MacDill Air Force Base issued a mandatory evacuation for non-mission essential individuals and their families living in six coastal counties by 10:00 a.m. on Aug. 29. Inland neighborhoods are exempt from this order.
- MacDill, situated on a peninsula at Tampa Bay’s mouth, is particularly vulnerable to flooding and hurricane conditions. It was on a ‘Hurcon 5’ alert, indicating potential destructive winds within 96 hours.
- CENTCOM and USSOCOM leadership and operating staffs will relocate inland during the storm.
- National Weather Service forecasts for Tampa include a potential storm surge of 4 to 7 feet.