Ukrainian special forces conducted a daring raid across the Dnipro River, surprising and killing or capturing dozens of Russians. The attack involved seven boats landing in a village east of Kherson city, taking the Russian forces by surprise. The Dnipro River, a main dividing line in the conflict, has been a site of intense fighting. There are conflicting reports regarding the success of the raid, but some evidence suggests that Ukrainian forces inflicted damage on the Russian forces.
- Ukrainian special forces broke through Russian defenses in a nighttime river raid across the Dnipro River, resulting in dozens of Russian soldiers being killed or captured.
- The raid was conducted using seven boats, each carrying six to seven soldiers, and was possibly timed to coincide with a Russian troop rotation, allowing for greater surprise.
- The Dnipro River has been a critical front line in the conflict, often under attack, and this particular raid has been seen as a rare breakthrough for Ukraine in its ongoing counteroffensive.
- In the aftermath, conflicting accounts emerged regarding the raid’s success, but an influential U.S. think tank, The Institute for the Study of War, claimed to have evidence of Ukrainian success in inflicting damage on Russian forces.
- Ukraine’s bid to push back Russian forces has been slow and incremental, facing heavily defended Russian positions and widespread landmines, making this raid a significant event in the ongoing conflict.