The White House has confirmed that Ukraine is effectively utilizing American-supplied cluster bombs against Russian forces. Despite widespread international bans on these weapons due to civilian threats, the U.S. has opted to bolster Ukrainian ammo supplies with cluster bombs. The decision faced criticism from international allies including the UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Spain.
- The United States is supplying Ukraine with cluster bombs to strengthen its ammunition supplies amidst the ongoing conflict with Russia.
- Ukraine has assured that these bombs will only be used against concentrations of Russian troops. U.S. National Security Spokesman John Kirby attested to their effective use against Russian defensive positions.
- Cluster bombs, which scatter multiple bomblets, are banned by over 100 states due to their potential danger to civilians.
- The decision to supply Ukraine with cluster bombs was labeled “very difficult” by President Joe Biden and faced opposition from international allies such as the UK, Canada, New Zealand, and Spain.
- The Russian forces have also been reported to use similar cluster bombs in Ukraine, including in civilian areas. Russian President Vladimir Putin declared Russia would use similar weapons “if they are used against us”.