The White House removed a photograph from social media that depicted President Joe Biden in Israel shaking hands with U.S. special operators whose faces were visible. This action was taken as the Defense Department traditionally does not disclose images showing the full faces of U.S. special operators. The photograph had been shared mistakenly, and the White House expressed regret over the oversight.
- The removed photograph showed President Biden shaking hands with U.S. special operators in Israel, without any badges or insignia identifying their units.
- Typically, the Defense Department avoids publicly displaying the faces of U.S. special operators, often obscuring them in images.
- The White House spokesperson stated that the photograph was posted accidentally and was deleted once the error was noted.
- While the photo was removed approximately an hour after posting, other images on Getty still depicted U.S. special operators in Israel with full combat gear.
- Despite speculations, U.S. government officials reiterated that there are no current intentions to deploy American troops on the ground in Israel. The U.S. is mainly assisting Israel with planning and intelligence regarding the hostage situation instigated by the Hamas terrorist attacks on Oct. 7.