The USS Carney, a US warship, intercepted a significant assault near Yemen’s coast, shooting down 4 cruise missiles and 15 drones over 9 hours. These projectiles were headed towards Israel, indicating a possible expansion of conflict beyond the Gaza region.
- The USS Carney intercepted 4 cruise missiles and 15 drones near Yemen, believed to be directed towards Israel, over a span of 9 hours.
- The projectiles were launched by Iranian-backed Houthi forces in Yemen and some posed a risk to commercial aviation.
- US interceptions of Houthi launches are infrequent, with the previous notable incident occurring in 2016 when the USS Mason countered an attack in the Red Sea.
- Recent days saw multiple attacks on US positions in Iraq and Syria, including one at the Baghdad Diplomatic Support Center, though the US hasn’t yet assigned responsibility for these incidents.
- Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder stated that any potential US response to these threats will be strategic and at a time of their choosing.