In the face of artillery wars that define the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Ukrainian snipers play a vital but often unappreciated role on the battlefield. Armed with advanced training and precision, these snipers hide in carefully chosen locations, awaiting the perfect opportunity to take their shots. However, the rise of modern technology, especially drones, has made their concealed positions more vulnerable, forcing them to adapt and evolve their tactics.
- Ukrainian snipers play a crucial role in the ongoing conflict against Russia, even as they remain overshadowed by larger, more high-tech weapons systems.
- Technological advancements, particularly small drones used for surveillance, have made it challenging for snipers to maintain their concealed positions, prompting changes in their strategies.
- While the primary task of a sniper is to take out targets, their roles encompass various duties, including scouting, protection, and target location for artillery.
- Due to the inherent danger of their job and the challenge of confirming kills, Ukrainian snipers often record their shots using cameras; a saying among them goes, “no video, no kill.”
- The New York Times team spent a week embedded with a Ukrainian sniper unit to gain insights into the life, challenges, and tactics of these sharpshooters.