Lt. Gen. Jonathan Braga, commanding general of the US Army Special Operations Command, emphasizes the crucial role of information operations in the Ukraine conflict. He believes that Ukraine’s ability to rally global support and impact the morale of Russian soldiers has been due to their sophisticated information campaigns. He also highlighted the significant number of Russian desertions, attributing it to Ukraine’s effective messaging strategies.
- Lt. Gen. Braga identifies information operations as the primary lesson from Ukraine’s defense against Russian invaders.
- The strategic use of public messaging by Ukraine is credited for the desertion of about 17,000 Russian soldiers.
- The Ukrainian military and President Vlodomyr Zelenskyy have aggressively utilized public messaging, enhancing global support and showcasing their military successes.
- Braga indicates that the US Army has been assisting Ukraine in its information campaign and suggests that the US should emulate Ukraine’s strategy in future conflicts.
- The essence of warfare, according to Braga, is a “contest of wills,” emphasizing the human aspect over sheer annihilation.