A preliminary U.S. military investigation has reportedly determined that a U.S. Tomahawk missile strike on an Iranian elementary school on February 28 likely killed scores of children.
According to the U.S. officials who spoke to New York Times, “the strike on 28 February on the Shajarah Tayyebeh elementary school building was the result of a targeting mistake by the U.S. military planners.”
Iranian authorities reported over 150 fatalities in the strike, most of them children.
According to reports, the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) provided targeting information that identified the school as a military site. The location had previously served as an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) base approximately 15 years ago.
NBC News, citing U.S. military sources, reported that the strike “did not go off target, but rather hit the school because old intelligence showed it to be a military target.”
Footage purports to capture the moment a US/Israeli missile strikes Shajareh Tayyebeh girls’ elementary school in Minab, southern Iran—killing 168 minor female students.
Tragic civilian loss in broad daylight during school hours; US probes suggest likely American involvement… pic.twitter.com/xu8aHdmO2D
— Strategic Lens (@StrategicLensHQ) March 8, 2026
On Saturday, U.S. President Donald Trump insisted that Iran was behind the school bombing. “In my opinion, based on what I’ve seen, that was done by Iran … They’re very inaccurate, as you know, with their munitions. They have no accuracy whatsoever. It was done by Iran.”
In response to inquiries, a DIA spokesperson said: “The incident is under investigation; we defer to the Pentagon for further comment.”
War Secretary Pete Hegseth said Tuesday that the strike will be “thoroughly” investigated, and added that the U.S. has “attempted in every way possible to avoid civilian casualties.” He also accused Iran of targeting civilians “indiscriminately.”
Funeral ceremonies for the students and staff of the Shajarah Tayyebeh elementary school were held in Minab on March 3.
Today, Tuesday, March 3, a funeral ceremony was held with the large participation of citizens for the students who lost their lives in the military attack by the United States and Israel on the Shajareh Tayyebeh Girls’ School in Minab.
Yesterday, the Ministry of Education… pic.twitter.com/5EBVqKQrm0
— HRANA English (@HRANA_English) March 3, 2026







