“Starfield,” a newly released interstellar role-playing game by Bethesda Softworks, features the M1911 pistol, a sidearm used by U.S. troops for over a century. Although the game is set nearly 300 years into the future, the M1911 is spotlighted as the “Old Earth Pistol,” emphasizing its longevity and importance to U.S. armed forces history.
- “Starfield” incorporates “Old Earth” weapons, including the M1911 pistol and the AK-47 rifle.
- The M1911 was developed by John Moses Browning, adopted by the U.S. Army in the early 20th century, and played a significant role in World War I.
- While the U.S. military adopted a new service pistol in 1985, the M1911 remained popular, particularly among U.S. special operations forces.
- The inclusion of the M1911 in “Starfield” aligns with the game’s “NASA punk” aesthetic, which presents a future that’s less sleek and more tactile.
- “Starfield” became available for play on XBox Series X/S and Windows PCs on September 6, 2023.