The Russian Defense Ministry announced that the Chechen special forces, known as the “Akhmat” group, are leading an offensive in eastern Ukraine near the town of Mariinka, Donetsk region, alongside the Wagner mercenary group. The Akhmat group and Wagner group have been major contributors to Russia’s offensive in Ukraine.
- The “Akhmat” group of Chechen special forces and the Wagner mercenary group, led by Yevgeny Prigozhin, have been key forces behind Russia’s ongoing offensive in Ukraine.
- The groups are currently undertaking an offensive near Mariinka, a town in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine.
- Akhmat commander Apti Alaudinov has indicated a shift in his forces’ location for a counter-offensive, although he did not specify the troops’ current or future location.
- Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has recently refrained from openly criticizing Russia’s military leadership, unlike Yevgeny Prigozhin.
- Members of the two groups have publicly disagreed, with one of Kadyrov’s allies recently portraying Prigozhin as a constantly complaining blogger.
- These developments in Russia’s military strategy in Ukraine come as tensions and conflict continue in the region.