Incorporating meditation into a pre-run routine can enhance a runner’s performance by focusing the mind and calming the nervous system. As discussed in The Well+Good Podcast, meditation stimulates brain regions linked to concentration and memory, which can make running more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Breath and presence are central to both running and meditation, making them complementary practices.
- Pre-run meditation can set the right mindset for a run, creating an intention and calming the nervous system for better performance.
- Meditation activates the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus, improving concentration and muscle memory for running.
- Sound meditation can be particularly effective as a pre-run practice, offering a grounding effect with less direction and more focus on intention.
- The Well+Good Podcast episode includes a guided 10-minute mindfulness meditation to help runners start incorporating this practice into their routines.