As Israel intensifies its ground operations in Gaza following recent terrorist attacks, it has deployed elite troops to clear the Hamas tunnels and rescue over 200 hostages. Chief of the general staff of the Israel Defense Forces, Herzi Halevi, has stated that the country’s “best soldiers” are now actively involved in the Gaza offensive. Several special forces units, each with their unique expertise, are expected to play pivotal roles in this operation.
- Israel has deployed elite troops into Gaza to counter Hamas and its extensive tunnel network.
- The operation’s goals include dismantling Hamas, securing borders, and rescuing hostages.
- Special forces units such as Yahalom, Sayeret Matkal, Shayetet 13, Shaldag, Duvdevan, Egoz, Maglan, and Oketz are actively involved or poised for action.
- The tunnels utilized by Hamas serve as a significant challenge, functioning as a “spider’s web” beneath Gaza territory.
- The conflict has led to over 1,400 Israeli deaths since Hamas’ October 7 attacks, with the Palestinian death toll exceeding 8,000 due to Israel’s bombardments.