The U.S. Indo-Pacific Command (INDOPACOM) has created a new Joint Mission Accelerator Directorate, which will include an embed from the Defense Innovation Unit (DIU) as its Chief Technology Officer. This move aims to foster a closer relationship between the command and the commercial sector. The DIU official, with expertise in the commercial sector and DIU leadership experience, will help bridge the gap between the Department of Defense’s technological requirements and industry solutions.
- Adm. John Aquilino, the commander of INDOPACOM, announced the establishment of the Joint Mission Accelerator Directorate during a conference in Washington.
- The DIU embed will act as a vital link between INDOPACOM and commercial companies, ensuring the alignment of technological needs with industry solutions.
- DIU’s Defense Engagement Team has officials working in various military units, and the new collaboration with INDOPACOM seeks to expand the commercial innovation organization’s presence within existing departments.
- DIU’s strategy aims to transition from being external disruptors to active team members, focusing on large-scale implementation of military-relevant commercial technologies.
- A plan for DIU’s expanded role is currently awaiting review and approval from Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.