The Defense Intelligence of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine (DIU), also known as the GUR, is Ukraine’s chief authority for military intelligence. Established after the fall of the Soviet Union, it has overseen Ukrainian military intelligence for over 30 years. The GUR has evolved through various challenges, from restructuring efforts in the 1990s to confrontations with Russian aggression and recent integrations with Western allies.
- The GUR’s motto is “Sapiens Dominabitur Astris,” which translates to “the wise will rule the stars.”
- The formation of the GUR was heavily influenced by Ukrainian intelligence officers from the Soviet era, with its history closely tied to Ukraine’s post-Soviet evolution.
- In the 21st century, the GUR faced internal challenges, including interference from a pro-Russian president, and external challenges like the Russian invasion in 2014.
- The GUR updated its emblem in 2016, symbolically taking a stance against Russian aggression by featuring an owl with a sword plunged into Russia.
- Recent years have seen increased cooperation between the GUR and Western allies, especially after Russia’s second invasion attempt in 2022.