The 2023 U.S. Army Special Operations Command Best Combat Diver Competition, hosted by the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School in Key West, Florida, saw a team from the 5th Special Forces Group clinching victory. Unlike previous editions, this revamped competition was open to various special operations units including Navy SEALs and Army Rangers. The event involved a series of rigorous tests over three days, assessing participants’ physical fitness, mental toughness, and advanced combat diver skills.
- The competition expanded its participation to include Navy SEALs, Air Force Pararescueman and Combat Controllers, Marine Raiders, and Army Special Forces and Rangers, making it larger in scope.
- Events in the competition covered a range of skills: physical fitness tests, dive planning, underwater navigation without electronic devices, and more.
- The challenge fosters camaraderie and shared learning among the elite groups, preparing them for joint operations in real-world scenarios.
- While the competition aims to recognize elite combat divers, it also emphasizes safety, with rigorous equipment checks and standards mirroring the Combat Diver Qualification Course.
- The event underscores the importance of collaboration and learning among various Special Forces units, ensuring they can operate efficiently together in high-stakes missions.