The U.S. has conducted another round of airstrikes against Iran-backed militants in Syria, responding to over 40 attacks on American forces since late October. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin stated that these strikes were necessary for the protection of U.S. personnel and interests in the region.
- The airstrikes targeted a weapons storage facility in eastern Syria used by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and affiliated groups, which have been attacking U.S. troops.
- The U.S. has communicated to the Iranian leadership that it holds Iran responsible for the actions of its proxies and expects the attacks to cease.
- There has been a significant number of attacks on U.S. forces since October 17, with the majority occurring after a previous U.S. military response on October 26.
- The Pentagon acknowledges the potential for further military action if attacks continue, emphasizing the United States’ preparedness to protect its forces.
- The ongoing aggression has resulted in injuries to U.S. service members, with some suffering from traumatic brain injuries and other minor wounds.