For those looking to cut calories while still enjoying alcoholic beverages, there are alternatives to some popular high-calorie drinks. Using data primarily from allrecipes.com, the article provides a list of calorie-rich drinks and suggests lower-calorie substitutions. For example, instead of a Long Island iced tea that contains 262 calories, one could opt for a cosmopolitan at 131 calories.
- Swap a Long Island iced tea (262 calories) for a cosmopolitan (131 calories) due to the latter’s lower alcohol content and cranberry juice.
- A piña colada, a well-loved beachside cocktail, contains around 423 calories, while its alternative, the fuzzy navel, is slightly lighter at 367 calories.
- Mojitos, which are high in sugar, come in at about 203 calories; a diet rum and coke is a sweeter and lighter alternative at roughly 100 calories for an 8 oz serving.
- For those who prefer coolers, which can have up to 400 calories based on the brand, hard seltzers offer a popular and fruity choice at around 100 calories per serving.
- Gin and tonic lovers can reduce their calorie intake by switching to a gin rickey, which contains 146 calories compared to the former’s 193 calories due to the substitution of tonic water with seltzer water.