Artificial Intelligence (AI) usage in workplaces can lead to increased loneliness, insomnia, and alcohol consumption, according to a new study. Despite its numerous benefits, frequent interaction with AI systems can diminish the need for human contact, causing employees to feel socially disconnected.
- The research was conducted across four experiments in the U.S., Taiwan, Indonesia, and Malaysia. In each, one group of employees was told to interact frequently with AI systems while another was told to avoid them.
- Employees who frequently interacted with AI reported increased feelings of loneliness and insomnia. In the Taiwan experiment, these employees also reported higher alcohol consumption after work.
- AI systems, due to their ability to quickly and accurately complete tasks, can diminish the need for human interaction in the workplace. This can lead to feelings of social disconnection among employees.
- Responses to AI varied across organizations, affecting levels of insomnia, loneliness, and alcohol consumption. However, employees using AI were found to be more helpful to their colleagues, possibly in response to increased feelings of loneliness.
- The study warns that daily interactions with “AI colleagues” could increase feelings of loneliness and the need for social connection. It suggests companies should balance the use of AI with maintaining human interaction in the workplace.
Continue reading at https://gizmodo.com/ai-chat-study-the-office-lonely-insomnia-alcohol-1850531089