Sgt. Maj. Matt Parrish, a senior enlisted leader within the U.S. Special Operations Command, secretly managed the highly popular “Another SF Meme Page” on Instagram for over three years. The page served as a platform for military humor, coping mechanisms, and became an essential conduit for addressing concerns, mental health, and spiritual guidance in the military community.
- Sgt. Maj. Matt Parrish used the meme page “Another SF Meme Page” as a secret tool for understanding and assisting the military community, keeping his identity hidden behind an avatar of a cartoon cat in a green beret.
- Parrish began the page during the COVID lockdown, providing him with a unique insight into the military community’s sentiment and creating a new online sense of camaraderie.
- The humor on the page was dark and often edgy, reflecting the military’s brand of comedy used to cope with challenging experiences, leading to its immense popularity.
- Through the page, Parrish received messages from military personnel seeking advice, and he leveraged his position to address their concerns and challenges, like arranging food for a quarantined SOF unit.
- Capitalizing on the page’s significant reach, Parrish initiated fundraisers, eventually raising over $100,000 for military-focused charities like Special Operations Warrior Foundation and HunterSeven Foundation.