The 3rd Ranger Battalion dominated the Army’s annual Best Warrior awards, taking home all three top honors: Best Squad, Soldier of the Year, and NCO of the Year. Spc. Chancellor McGuire was named Soldier of the Year and Sgt. Jake Philips was awarded NCO of the Year, both of whom were part of the winning Best Squad team during the competition held in Washington D.C.
- Spc. Chancellor McGuire, originating from Georgetown, Texas, and Sgt. Jake Philips, from West Chester, Pennsylvania, were awarded the titles of Soldier of the Year and NCO of the Year respectively.
- Both McGuire and Philips were part of the five-man Ranger team, including Staff Sgt. Andre Ewing, Spc. George Mascharka, and Spc. Shane Moon, from the 3rd Battalion at Fort Moore, Georgia, that secured the Best Squad award.
- This year marked the consecutive win for a Rangers team in the Best Squad competition, with the previous year’s individual awards going to members from the 101st Airborne Division and Army Medical Command.
- The Army’s Best Squad Competition, a rigorous months-long event, sees participation from over 1,000 entrants, with the final 12 teams facing off in combat skills at Fort Stewart, Georgia.
- Teams from the Medical Command and Army Pacific secured the second and third places in the competition.