This tipping recommendation is a part of our bigger guide to acting politely in public at the moment. New societal norms have emerged on what merits a gratuity. Here is a list of them.
- The former range of socially acceptable and morally anticipated tip amounts at restaurants was between 15 and 20 percent; currently, it’s between 20 and 25 percent.
- Tip at least 20% at coffee shops, coffee carts, cafés, and bodegas.
- For food deliveries, leave a gratuity of at least $5 or 20%, whichever is higher.
- You must leave a gratuity of at least 10% when getting takeout from a restaurant.
- If asked, you must provide a tip when at a food counter. 10 percent is ideal
- Tip Uber drivers at least 20%, just as you would a cab driver.
- Tip at least 20% for anything else, including hairstylists, waxers, and movers. And always try to add more.