According to negotiation and business expert Devon Smiley, negotiation is a cooperative conversation, a way to solve problems, and a chance for transformation.
When Chris Voss was tasked with handling talks for a bank hostage at Chase Manhattan Bank in Brooklyn in 1993, he had only been an FBI hostage negotiator for about a year and a half. Voss was able to reach an agreement and persuade the kidnappers to leave the bank about 90 minutes after initially picking up the phone and speaking with one of the hostage takers.
- Before you can get someone to say yes, practice saying no (and know what will make others say no to you)
- Don’t take negotiating personally
- Prepare as much as you can prior to negotiating
- Approach the conversation with curiosity, authenticity, and generosity
- Accepting a good-enough offer is a win
- Don’t be afraid to walk away