Originally known as Camp Bragg, Fort Bragg is the largest Army post by population and is home to over 50,000 people. The post is known as the “Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces.” Established in 1918 before the end of WWI, the post was located in the Sandhills of North Carolina for artillery training due to the terrain. By the end of the war, Bragg was being used to test newly developed weapons and was almost shut down in 1921 before local officials fought to keep it open. Gen. William J. Snow, the chief of field artillery, wanted a location with a year-round climate conducive to training, adequate water sources, and a mild terrain. The next year Camp Bragg became Fort Bragg, and in 1941 it hosted over 67,000 troops due to the threat of WWII.
The Crossroads of Special Operations