Want Daily SOF News Articles and Job Listings Delivered to Your Inbox?
Governor announces reward in soldier’s 2017 shooting death | Army Times

Governor announces reward in soldier’s 2017 shooting death | Army Times

The governor of North Carolina has announced a $5,000 reward for information in the death of a U.S. Army specialist shot and killed last year.

News outlets report that Gov. Roy Cooper on Friday announced the reward more than a year after Spc. Jose Juan Melendez Jr., 31, was killed in Raleigh while on leave from Fort Bragg.

Police had said Melendez volunteered to be his friends’ designated driver and was walking to his vehicle in an apartment complex on Raleigh’s north side in the early morning hours of Nov. 29 when he was shot. A 911 caller reported seeing someone run into the woods.

“I saw somebody running,” the woman on the phone said. “Shots were fired. He was running towards the woods.”

The woman identified the runner as a male. After the shooting, Melendez was taken to WakeMed hospital, where he died from his wounds, police said at the time.

Source: Governor announces reward in soldier’s 2017 shooting death | Army Times

 

%d bloggers like this: