The mission for troops in Afghanistan continues as planned, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said amid reports of a partial pullout from the country.
“There’s all kinds of rumors swirling around,” Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford told hundreds of U.S. troops gathered Monday at a USO celebrity holiday event. “The mission you have today is the same as the mission you had yesterday.”
The Trump administration reportedly ordered the Pentagon to make plans to withdraw some 7,000 troops from the country late last week, but Army Gen. Scott Miller, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, told local media Sunday that orders of a pullout had not yet reached the leadership here.
On Christmas Eve, Dunford told the troops at this austere base about 60 miles south of Kabul that he’d ensure their leaders got word as soon as anything changes.