Though in past years portions of the annual conference have been open to the media, this year staff decided to close the entire event to outside media. The following information was gleaned from Army releases on the event.
Gen. Stephen Townsend, commander of Army Training and Doctrine Command, told attendees that five near-term priorities will drive how well today’s soldiers are ready for their next operating environment.
Those priorities include:
- A review of how the Army recruits its soldiers and a plan to improve.
- Improving the leader-to-led ratio and resourcing in initial entry training.
- Successfully standing up Army Futures Command.
- Fielding a new Combat Fitness Test and changing the force’s fitness culture.
- Ramping up Multi-Domain Operations into doctrine and practice.
Each of these near-term priorities have some early work already completed, with more on the way.