TUNIS — The gunman who massacred 38 foreign tourists at a beachside hotel on Friday trained with a militant group in Libya this year alongside two Tunisians who later killed 22 people at the national museum, security officials confirmed on Tuesday.
Rafik Chelli, secretary of state for the interior, told The Associated Press that the gunman at the hotel, Seifeddine Rezgui, 24, a graduate of a technical college from central Tunisia, crossed illegally into neighboring Libya in January and trained with an extremist group near the town of Sabratha, in northwestern Libya, near the capital, Tripoli.
Tunisian officials have said that the two gunmen who attacked the National Bardo Museum in Tunis in March, killing 21 tourists and a police officer, also crossed into Libya for several weeks of training. Mr. Chelli confirmed that they and Mr. Rezgui had been there at the same time. The gunmen at the museum were killed by security forces.
The news that Mr. Rezgui trained in Libya was first reported Monday in the daily El Chourouk, which quoted an anonymous source. Police officials in Kairouan, the city that is home to the college where Mr. Rezgui studied, said Monday that he trained for two years in Libya, but it was not clear whether they had specific information or were repeating news reports.