A British schoolgirl’s plan to travel to Syria to join Islamic State has been disrupted after an undercover newspaper investigation, police have said.
Scotland Yard said it was alerted to the “vulnerable” 16-year-old from east London by the Daily Mail.
Officers said they were working with her family and the local authority to ensure she was “kept safe from harm”.
The home secretary said the case, which involved grooming via social media, showed the “threat” from IS.
According to the Mail, counter-terrorism officers attended the girl’s family home on Wednesday.
The paper said she had intended to travel to the Syrian border, via Turkey and Switzerland, next week after her GCSE exams finished, in order to marry a jihadi fighting for IS.
It said a journalist posing as a 16-year-old girl had been involved in conversations online with the girl’s older sister – described as a “groomer” for IS – who is already in Syria. She had been trying to persuade the reporter to accompany her sibling.