ALERT LINE
Kenya officials suspended over university massacre

Kenya officials suspended over university massacre

Nine Kenyan security officials from Garissa have been suspended and could face charges of criminal negligence over the massacre at the town’s university earlier this month, the government announced Tuesday.

Militants from Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab rebels attacked the university in the northeastern town of Garissa on April 2, lining up non-Muslim students for execution and killing 148 people.

Kenya interior minister, Joseph Nkaissery, said a preliminary investigation into the response to the attack signalled that the officials, among them senior police officers, had failed to mobilise ahead of the attack despite intelligence warnings.

“I take this opportunity to warn all officers bestowed with the responsibility for the management of security across the country. Each will be held accountable for any acts of omission that endangers the lives and property of Kenyans,” the minister told reporters.

“This investigation is starting immediately,” he added, saying that the officials would be formally charged if there is evidence of negligence.

Read More:Kenya officials suspended over university massacre – Al Arabiya News.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*