Danish police have charged two men suspected of helping the gunman who carried out two shooting attacks that killed two people over the weekend in Copenhagen, according to media reports.
Police in Copenhagen say the arrests were made Sunday and that the men will face a custody hearing on Monday, the Associated Press says.
In a statement, police said, “The two men are charged with helping the perpetrator with advice and deeds,” the BBC reported.
The broadcaster said the suspects are charged with providing and disposing of the weapon, and with helping the gunman to hide. A defense lawyer said they deny the charges.
The gunman was killed after shooting attacks at a cultural center and outside a synagogue. Five police officers were injured in the shootings.
The suspect, who has been named by Danish media as Omar El-Hussein, fired multiple shots Saturday through the window of a cafe during a free speech debate, killing one man, and later killed a male guard at a synagogue. By early Sunday morning, a massive manhunt resulted in a shootout near a downtown subway station and the gunman’s death.
Police said at a news conference Sunday that the 22-year-old suspect was born in Denmark, was involved in gang criminal activity and had an interest in militant Islam.
The suspect has not traveled abroad to the Middle East, police said. Police also said they suspect he was attempting to copy last month’s Paris shootings on the Charlie Hebdo office and a kosher grocery store.
The incident was the first double terrorist attack in a country that rarely sees deadly violence.
“We are a nation that is completely unused to such drama,” said Kirsten Stubbe-Teglbjaerg, a resident of the Danish capital.