Rebels and Russian troops in Ukraine’s east are carrying out new offensives, the government in Kiev said, a day after it accused Russia of sending in hundreds of soldiers.
With peace talks planned in Berlin on Wednesday, military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said Ukrainian forces are under attack. Three more Russian battalions are approaching the border after two crossed Monday, he said Tuesday evening in the capital. Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov earlier called the claims “hallucinations” and “absolute nonsense.”
The fighting between the government and the rebels has intensified since the latest round of peace talks collapsed last week. Scores of Ukrainian soldiers have been killed and wounded in a battle at Donetsk’s airport, with each side accusing the other of reinforcing their positions in breach of a Sept. 5 truce signed in Minsk, Belarus.